Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Revelations" The Jubilee


In the early days of my dance career I was honored to have worked with many great African American choreographers, one of the greatest who was the legendary Alvin Ailey. It was during this time that his company took on a very specific character and the Alvin Ailey Dance Company was born. This month we are privileged to celebrate fifty years of the choreographic genius of "Revelations," the Company's signature piece. Special to me, although I was not in the company at that time when Alvin created this work, was the exciting fact that Myrna White, who was later to become my wife and mother of my children, was one of the original dancers.

You will note in the picture posted the young Alvin Ailey and Myrna White intensely focused in a live performance in the early days of the Alvin Ailey Dance Company. Alvin Ailey truly represents a golden age in American dance history. "Revelations" has endured fifty years of worldwide audience adoration. Congratulations!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Mr. Scott...

    It's been a delight to read portions of your blog and learn that your wife is Myrna White, which also happens to be my name. :-) I have corresponded with another Myrna White, who happens to be an official at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. Googling our name will demonstrate that there are a few more Myrna Whites. :-)

    Ms. White (ATL) jokingly suggested that we should all get together and have a Myrna White Convention. :-)

    Please greet Mrs. Scott, and let her know that it's fun to find her (and others) when I google *my* name.

    Blessings (and I love green olives, too!)

    Myrna White
    www.myrnawhite.com

    ReplyDelete