Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Stars and Stripes and Super Bowl XLV


This past Sunday countless millions of Americans and viewers around the world witnessed one of the most horrific moments that a singer could experience: not to remember the words of her National Anthem. Christina Aguilera has long been an artist whose excitement and creative singing style infected the entire musical community. Like many, I have also championed her talent, but that kind of "flub" was hard to understand.

Recently, I posted about my student Wendy Gerbier who sang the Anthem for President Obama's mid-term campaign appearance in Connecticut. There's something to be said for having respect for the opportunity regardless of your own accomplishments, as I have had that honor twice in my career for the New York Mets.

I am a totally committed singer/entertainer and at something like Super Bowl XLV, the Anthem is part of the sermon, "Every performance should be like your first."

Update: Interesting that there are no Google images of Ms. Aguilera's Super Bowl performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment